Fucking Ariel Meg and Pocahontas
Categories of Disney Princesses
Classic - Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora
Renaissance - Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan
Revival - Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Anna, Elsa
Forgotten - Eilonwy, Kida, Nancy
Honorary - Esmeralda, Megara, Jane, Giselle, Vanellope
Notes and Reasoning:
- I included Mulan as a Reanissance princess because while she is not technically a princess in her movie, Disney has officially recognized her as a princess in their line-up. She also seems to be of a noble family and is honored by the Emperor, so while that doesn’t count as a princess title, she is a distinguised woman of honor.
- I included Elsa as a Revival Princess because she is planned to be coronated and added to the official princess line-up despite being a Queen. She was also a princess at one point, so has technically been a princess too, much like Kida.
- Honarary princesses are what I personally consider “almost princesses” where their love interest is a man with a certain amount of power in their respected areas (Captain of the Gaurd, God, King of the Jungle), or in Vanellope’s case, is the one with power. While Giselle does not end up with a prince, he was at one point her love interest, and she is supposed to be the epitome of a Disney princess, so I had to include her.
- Forgotten Princesses are different from Honorary Princesses, in that they have actually held the title or status of a princess, but were never added to the official line.
- In Greek Mythology Megara is a princess, being the daughter of a King. Since that was not specified in the Disney movie I could not include her as a forgotten princess.
- I do not consider Vanellope a Forgotten Princess because she willingly gave up her princess title to become a president and is not a princess by the end of her movie. While she was a princess at one point like Kida and Elsa, she is very young and was a princess for only a very short time. There also never seemed to be any indication that she was ever attempted to be added or considered for the official line-up.
- Some people include Alice or Wendy as an honorary princess, but there isn’t really a reason besides the fact that they are the main female protagontist in their movie. They never hold a position of power in the worlds they visit or have a serious relationship with an someone in an official position of power there either, so I excluded them.
- I did not include non-human princesses, such as Minnie, Daisy, Kiara, Faline, Dot, Atta, or Maid Marian. Tinkerbell is often considered an honorary princess too, but since she isn’t human, nor does she really hold much power, I excluded her as well.
- I did not include characters from sequels, video games,TV shows, or movies Disney had the rights to but did not create. Therefore Melody, Kiara, Sally, Ting-Ting, Su, Mei, Sofia and Amber are left off this list, and whatever original Kingdom Hearts character might be considered one.
did rapunzel just walk out of my dash
I almost scrolled past this
"You’re a Disney princess who is just currently in the sad part of her feature film. It’s going to be okay."-My sister is the best person. (via regardingsarah)
Women shouldn’t be valued because we are strong, or kick-ass, but because we are people. So don’t focus on writing characters who are strong. Write characters who are people.
Disney Princess edition
~~ Someday I’ll be part of your wooooorld ~~ by cattivo-mojo